Friday 8 May 2020

Sport Afterlife




Life after being a a squash professional seemed uncertain. Who am I, if not an athlete? What are my skills? What would I do for a living or to use my skills well? What are my strengths and what would I need to improve? The answers were challenging to find and hard to think of - let alone put in practice.

It started with a vision - like it always does. Then moved to a plan and then action. That's how I want it to be. That's how I see myself satisfied, productive and happy. And that's exactly how it panned out. But not before a lot of settling in and self reflection. 

With education and work experience under my belt, a versatile skill set and lots of support from amazing people, I embarked on my new journey as a man looking for purpose after having done all the playing I wanted to do. 

Life after squash was interesting, challenging and rewarding all at the same time. I didn't know what I was in for on the flight back to NZ from Europe to move back permanently. I had a ball there - playing leagues and tournaments all over the continent. Some great friends were made and times had. Even though I felt I could've done better with my playing career, the time taken away with studies and work before going pro caught up on me. I had to take the positives and be satisfied with what I had achieved instead of dwell on what I could have done. National titles and representations, PSA titles and participation in numerous world champs, a world rank and above all, an amazing time on and off court doing what I loved. A highest finish of last 16 at the British Open, winning the Spanish Open and getting to the final of the Australian Open against David Palmer were all satisfying memories. All that was not to be taken for granted. It was time to move back to New Zealand and settle into life. I looked forward to it with excitement albeit a little bit of uncertainty. 

Why stop playing and having fun?! I was nearly 35 and had been playing for 25 years by then. I looked at other things in life that I could do or was interested in and thought what if. The travelling was getting to me as well. The body had started to show signs of slowing down. Recovery after hard matches was tough and the response to training was unpredictable. The results were starting to dwindle as well as the young bucks were gaining the experience needed to overcome us older, more experienced lot. I remember playing massive five setters against Mossad, Marche, Castagnet and a few others - all gave stark reminders. As bitter as it felt, it was time to move to the next phase of life. It is hard to let go but its a skill to do so and it took me a while to learn that. 

1. Coaching for Club, District and Country
Coaching was a natural transition and an important one as other jobs would be hard to come by straight away with a lack of experience in my fields of study - IT, as well as field of experience HR. However, I had the confidence that study and work experience before going pro gave me. I knew it might be uncertain but it could come through in my favour. Thanks to an offer from Grant Smith and Fletch at SquashGym, Palmy - I embarked on my journey as a player coach at their well run academy. 

I loved coaching. I loved passing on what I knew and make a difference to people. I had done it for a very long time since my student days. Besides, I could still play then and would get excellent training done with some capable students I had been made responsible for. I was very lucky to be able to share my knowledge with extraordinary athletes. Each of them were brilliant in their own way. And some, a coach's dream

I still kept playing locally. Played all the PSA events and major national events were a great challenge. It also helped slow down the transition as I gradually started taking up other opportunities to see what worked for me work and lifestyle wise. 

2. PSA Oceania
The Professional Squash Association had gone through some changes and were coming back strong. They wanted to improve their Oceania events in numbers and in prize money. The plan was to get locals to help promote the Tour and roles were created all around the world for players to represent the PSA. I got the Oceania Tour and we started working to improve things for the players and showcase squash the best we could. With the help of excellent club support all around NZ, we saw a consistent, well presented PSA circuit in New Zealand. Our commentary and live stream of the NZ Classic in Palmy was a first in New Zealand. 

3. Palmerston North Boys High School 
First came the excellent offer of being a House Master at Palmy Boys High School Hostel - College House. I coached the boys and the teacher in charge became a good friend. He was a Murray House Master himself and suggested it could work well for me. Very soon into the informal interview process, I realised that this was a prestigious institution and I felt honoured to be a part of the over 100 years old hostel, contributing to boys becoming men. I was on duty once a week - again, leaving plenty of hours idle in the week. 

4. Massey University Manawatu
I found out about a very cool sports role at Massey University through the local RST - Sport Manawatu. An initiative of Sport NZ and HPSNZ, the programme was to look after emerging athletes. It felt like the perfect step forward towards athlete development in other sports. Again, a part time role that kept me busy in different hours of the week. However, I got to spend time with extraordinary academics at the university where the office initially was located. I built excellent connections there and gained valuable experience which was going to have a lasting impact on my career. 

5. Squash New Zealand - HP Manager
In the meantime, I had taken up another part time role of helping Squash NZ with their restructure and taking up the management of the men's HP squad. This was right up my alley but I soon realised that I had taken up too much with all my part time roles. Not only was I drained during the weekends but coaching took even more out of me during weekends. I was running on adrenalin from excellent results in most if not all jobs but something had to give. I thought hard on what I wanted to do and what I wanted out of it. I chose freedom of time and knew I had to work for myself to get this. 

6. Salming Sports New Zealand
I started taking my business venture in a more serious manner and let go of most of my part time roles, gradually one after the other. I thought if I was to achieve success and be good at something, I had to give it more time rather than focus on many things at once. I did however, need to survive and so I took up another excellent full time position at the Massey Uni Sport and Rec Centre to pay the bills and started focusing better on building a brand and a company. 

7. Moving into self employment
After 3 years at Massey and hard work moonlighting doing all other projects I had commited to, it was time to take the plunge and work for myself completely. I resigned from Massey University and immersed myself in the company. We were growing very fast and I needed to be a quick learner if I was to support the growth. I worked hard and long to make things work and results followed quickly. I improved in this new line of work steadily and soon we had a self sustaining business. Equipped with experience and confidence that came with it, I was ready for more.

NEXT: A life led well is a balanced life. 

Sport Afterlife

Life after being a a squash professional seemed uncertain. Who am I, if not an athlete? What are my skills? What would I do for a liv...