Saturday 30 July 2011

Four weeks in New Zealand


After ten months away I was headed back to New Zealand. The window seat and the view from it brought back a lot of memories - especially from the first time I moved to NZ. A few things needed to be taken care of, some Squash to be played and many many people to catch up with. I looked forward to my four weeks back at home.
Just like last year, I expected to be very busy during my time in New Zealand. I was playing a tournament every weekend and doing some exhibitions as well as training during the week. Paul had kindly agreed to train with me in the mornings and to stay at his luxurious place near Bethells beach. It was going to be like the good old days - training up for the far less stressful local events.

Good friend Nazar met me at the airport and we went straight to Sohail's to have a much needed catch up. Nazar then dropped me off at Remuera and I was home. During the next four weeks I spent a lot of time at the club. Training in the mornings with Paul, lunch and tea at his office, hitting with the guys in the afternoon and helping Paul with coaching his juniors, walks to newmarket and catching up with friends and long stretches before a sauna occupied my day. In the evenings we would get back to some nice meals cooked by Paul's lovely wife Nuttah. I was certainly spoilt.

1. The first weekend - Cousins Shield
I was back playing for my home club Remuera in the prestigious national club championships. Our team had weakened considerably with Alex Grayson injured and our key players Phil Buscke and Graeme Wilson both away on holidays. The matches were hard and we didn't get the result we expected. We did manage to live up to our seeding by finishing fourth - with a loss to Herne Bay in the semis and another one to the determined SquashGym Palmerston North. The party was fun as always and Corey Love took the prize for best dressed - as Po from Kungfu Panda. My favourites were Thorndon as Al Qaeda and there antics on the floor. Overall a great event, an excellent weekend as always and it was great to catch up with everyone. It felt like I was never away.

2. The second weekend - Central Open
The priority after Cousins was to get my hip looked at. I got a lot of treatment from our physio Heather and even saw a chiropractor for the first time in my life - on the recommendation of Carol Owens. It all seemed to help and I felt fit for my annual trip to Palmy.

I played my good friend Josh Greenfield in the quarters there. Josh had beaten me the weekend before and I had to be on my toes against this talented Squash player. It was a tight match and I think we both played really well. I won it 3-0 but only narrowly in each game. I faced Campbell in the semis in the afternoon and that was another hard one. Campbell took full advantage of my complacency after winning the first and came back strong to win the second and third. The fourth was a close one and we were both feeling it. The finish line was closer for him than it was for me and he pushed through to claim the match in four games.
I came up against the talented and capable youngster evan Williams for third spot on the final day. Evan played excellent squash to put me on the back step early on in the match. He capitalised with a 2-0 lead and even though I battled hard, Ev kept his cool and took the fourth to win the match in 4 games to get his first win over me. A good effort.

3. The third weekend - Nationals
The nationals is the pinnacle of the local circuit and even though it hasn't been a goal of mine since I won my fifth title two years ago, I was still keen to try and do well. I trained hard with Paul and took care of the body well to get ready for the event.

The first day went according to plan with wins against young Zac Miller and Bryce Redman. The second day is always the hardest with two hard matches. I took on the legend Danny McQueen in the quarters winning in a closely contested hard three games. Hats off to Danny for keeping up with his Squash and fitness at 47 years of age. A legend indeed.

My semifinal opponent was Campbell once again. I knew I had a good chance against him and that the first game would make a huge difference. He took the advantage by taking a close first 11/9. The second game saw him play some amazing shots from the back of the court and bit seven winners in a row. There wasn't much I could do against him and he took a huge 2-0 lead. I fought back hard and made him do a lot of work to win the third 11-6. The fourth was another hard one with Campbell pushing through well and taking advantage of my loose returns in the last two rallies to take the match 12/10 in the fourth.

I played Evan for another 3rd placing match. I knew what he was capable of but was determined together my revenge. I backed up well after a hard match against campbell. I felt good physically and was glad to get a 3-0 win against this dangerous and skillful opponent.

4. The fourth weekend - Royal Oak Open
With most top NZ players away for tournaments, it was left to Gary and myself to take the centre court in the final of this local event. Royal Oak had done a great job with the event and the crowd certainly got their monies worth with some great squash by Gary in all his matches. It was great to play him in a final again and it reminded me of the good old days when we played in the later stages of tournaments regularly. I won a very entertaining match in four games. In my speech I thanked the club, the sponsors of the tournament as well as my sponsors, Gary and a special thankyou to Paul wright for all his help.

I also used this weekend to catch up with friends and asked then to meet me at Royak Oak. It was great to catch up with Charlie, Dave, Jared and after a very long time Callum. It was also Bob's birthday on saturday and we went out for dinner and then had a good time at his place.

5. Exhibition and Clinic at SquashGym Palmerston North
SquashGym Palmerston North are the buzzing capital of squash in NZ. They have taken on some of the biggest events in the world and also run an academy there. I wanted to do something with them and they supported thre idea. They organised a sponsor and it was all on.

It was busy but and exciting day in Palmy. I was met at the airport by the coach Jason Fletcher and after a quick lunch we headed to the club. I had a good hit with Catelyn Watts and then took on the senior boys Dylan, Tom and Regan who all did very well. Later I took some of the other kids and then took on the sponsor for a best of three. Brett is a C grader and gave it all. After that I played 2 against one with JBB and JB and then took on 5 people who had registered for 5 points against me. It was great fun!

After a bit of a rest I took on the local legend Mike McSherry for a game before taking on Josh Greenfield in a tight best of three to finish off the on court proceedings. All the games w2ere very well contested and the crowd loved the exhibition Squash.

Later we headed to the lounge for a fun question and answer session which was very enjoyable. Thank you very much for having me squashgym. I look forward to next time.

6. Nelson and Nev
Good friend Neville Fyfe gave me a call and wondered if I could do something at his new base in Nelson. I was keen to see him as well as play in Nelson for the first time. They booked my flights and I was there. A fun evening once again when I took the juniors for an hour before having 3 games each with nick and Josh King. In between games the crowd asked me questions which made it fun and relaxing. I thoroughly enjoyed staying with Nev at his new place in Ruby Bay. It had stunning views and the sun was crisp as expected in the area. Will surely be back there again one day.

7. National team selection
It wasn't all positive in NZ and there was some controversy when Squash NZ didn't pick me to represent the country a the world mens team champs in October. It was disappointing as I thought I could contribute to the team with my squash but obviously they didn't. It's not the first time I have been overlooked and I am used to this treatment by them but it was good that it happened in front of everyone this time. It has never stopped me doing what I enjoy and I will continue doing so.

However, the positive that came out of it was the immense support I had from all over NZ. I got messages and emails telling me how disappointed people were and how much they would like to see me in the team. There were emails sent to squash NZ as well and the issue was raised in the media. I was touched by all the support and that's what it is about for me. I play for these friends and supporters out there in clubs and respresent them around the world - thankyou very much for the support!

In saying that, I congratulate Martin, Campbell, Evan and Paul Coll for making the team and wish them all the best in Germany.

8. Overall a fantastic trip which reminded me the reasons why I call NZ home. I wish I could stay longer but things need to be done as I head out for another long tour starting with tournaments in Australia.

Sport Afterlife

Life after being a a squash professional seemed uncertain. Who am I, if not an athlete? What are my skills? What would I do for a liv...