Tuesday 14 February 2012

Return to Pakistan



Where even the last player on the list is capable enough to topple the first, this field of players is starving for results. Out of respect for the nation's rich history and immense talent in the sport, I feel as if feed for hungry cheetahs and out of confidence, a tiger amongst cubs. I return to Pakistan to face the fiercest of conditions and competitors - it's ON!











One of the most vibrant cities in the world is also one of my favourites. Full of history, culture, hospitality and not to forget the delicacies it has to offer, returning to Lahore brings back a lot of memories. Going to Lahore means entering the stronghold of the once mighty Mughal empire - the Turkish/Mongol descendants who migrated to, conquered and ruled the region for 400 years. The traces of which are still fresh in the city.


Narrowly losing the final of the same tournament many many years ago, amendment is on my mind - a win in Lahore would be special. I can't even start to imagine how Shabana would have felt winning his first world title on a glass court setup in the fortress of Lahore.


The Matches
I was drawn to play Mansoor Zaman in the first match. Mansoor and I go way back when we first played in the National under 14 championships in 1992. Since then we've had many battles - the Asian Junior Champs final in 1997 was the most memorable when Mansoor came back from 5-8 down in the 5th to beat me 10-8 and take the prestigious title and one that went my way was the last round of qualification at the British Open a few years back after a hard match.

I wasn't expecting anything less from Mansoor who in my mind was not only the most feared opponent in the draw but also the most skillfull player I have seen. Mansoor's touch and accuracy are remarkable. Apart from his achievement of reaching 11 in the world rankings at a very young age, Mansoor is also one of the nicest and soft spoken guys on tour.

The match was hard as expected with Mansoor dictating play and hitting winners on straight drops at will. I countered by retrieving well and keeping the ball to the back. After a topsy turvy 4 games it was 2-2. With the score tied at 9-9 in the 5th it would have been anyone's match. Luckily , I squeezed out a couple of loose balls from him with tight drives and took full advantage by placed the ball comfortably against a trapped Zaman. 3-2 to me and I was through to the next round.

In the quarters I was up against another Zaman - the up and coming Farhan. I had never seen or played Farhan before and knew it would be tricky. I had heard that he goes short a lot and quite well. I tried to pin him back and succeeded after losing the first. I led 2-1 in games and felt good. A bad start in the fourth allowed him to claw back and try as hard as I could, I couldnt take the game - it was 2-2. I was confident in my fitness as I hard worked hard for this event. I knew I could work my gameplan against him. However, Farhan played superb Squash out of his skin and hit drops to which I had no answer - even at a good movement day. He took the game 11-5 and I was out of the tournament.

Most losses are disappointing but losing at one's target event feels even worse. I regretted another missed oppotunity to win in Pakistan. However, I know I would be back.

It was time to enjoy Lahore!



Sport Afterlife

Life after being a a squash professional seemed uncertain. Who am I, if not an athlete? What are my skills? What would I do for a liv...