Saturday 22 December 2012

Time for a break

The last event of the year was timely placed in Islamabad, Pakistan. Not only did I look forward to playing on one of my favourite glass courts but also to spend time with the family - a 45 minutes drive away from the venue.




The Squash
I fought off the aggressive resistance of good friend Adil Maqbool in a see-saw 5 setter. The court played quite dead and Adil showed his skill with the racket. Apart from the niggling back restricting my movement, I was happy with my fitness which saw me through the match. The first match in the bag meant increased confidence in the next one.

The quarter final against speedy youngster Danish Atlas Khan was not as I hoped it to be. I went down in three games as his superior agility made the difference in the crucial points in the cold conditions. Losing the first in a tie break wasnt the best for me. A bad second game and another closely fought third game later, the match was over in 40 minutes, 3-0 to him.

Analysis
Even though I expected more from myself because of the work and experience under my belt, my recent performances have been less than acceptable. Marred by a shoulder problem for the last three months, I have hardly played any practice matches. The heavy travelling schedule has also taken its toll as the motivation to travel to events diminishes. Not to forget my opponents getting younger making me feel (shall we say) more mature. These are signs of a much needed break from competition and travelling. A break from it all to relax the mind and the body alike.

Apart from Squash
I am at the family house and enjoying my time in the pleasant winter in Pindi. It is 18 degrees celcius and sunny every day - very relaxing. One of my best friend's wedding was also planned for this week. This break will surely serve its purpose and freshen me up.

Over and out.

Sport Afterlife

Life after being a a squash professional seemed uncertain. Who am I, if not an athlete? What are my skills? What would I do for a liv...