Sunday 21 June 2015

NZ PSA Series 2015

It is nearly half way through the year and that exciting time when the Professional World Tour comes to New Zealand. With most of my training planned to peak in the events at home, I looked forward to the New Zealand PSA Series with excitement as well as a bit of anxiety.

NZ Classic - Palmerston North
I had set myself three main squash goals for the year and the first one was to win another PSA title at home - the NZ Classic. Being in the qualifying was always going to be hard and I prepared for 6 hard days of squash to be able to back up after hard squash matches.

I drew our very own youngster Corbin Faint to play the higher seeded Finn Matias Tuomi in the qualifying rounds.  Got through Corbin in 3 games - a well played match by him. In the next round Matias rolled his ankle and had to stop in the second game - very unfortunate. He seemed to be in a lot of pain but recovered well to get back on court the following week.

I had a tough draw in 6th seed Paul Coll next up. Paul's high pace is always hard to handle. A bad start didn't help at all and he capitalism on it and backed up to go 2-0 up. I clawed back in the third but he stepped up again to take the match 3-1. I was disappointed in myself - more for a few bad decisions than the result itself.



I managed to redeem myself somewhat in the weekend draw and managed to win the final against top seeded Canadian Matt Serediak. A consolation indeed.

The time off court was spent hosting visitors - including a few players that I knew from my travelling days as well as Squash legend Geoff Hunt. I also managed to help out with  commentary and live streaming alongside playing my PSA rep role.


Christchurch International
I love the courts at Burnside. I feel the walls are very true and always make for a good game of squash to watch and play.

I was  in the qualifying again and drew our very own - Luke Jones Luke played brilliantly and took a game off me while playing some good squash.I took on another youngster Ben Grindrod next. I controlled the game well and recovered from a lapse in the second to win in 4. In the main draw I had Lance who played smart squash to not let me get into my rythm. I tried to come back but he took control again and won in 4 games. A disappointing loss for me but all credit to Lance.

I decided not to play the weekend draw to stay focused on the last event the following week. I spent my time interviewing players and  doing a bit of commentary for the livestream which was a huge success.

A big thank you to our host Robyn Dunlop for having us in our lovely house. We had a great time Robyn - thanks a lot!

Drive from Queenstown to Invercargill

NZ Southern Open - Invercargill
The last event of the NZ PSA Series took us through the beautiful South Island once again. We drove from Christchurch to Queenstown - stopping a few times to enjoy the views on the way. Queenstown was fun as always as I watched the boys try the mechanical bull at Cowboys. They carried onto the Ice bar and a decided to call it a night to recover from the long drive and get ready for the next day.

In the qualifying again I drew another one from our SquashGym Academy - travel buddy Jason van der Walt. He started poorly but improved along the way and ended up taking two games off me before I could close the match in 5 games. A ln excellent effort by Jason. In the next round I played the best I've played all season to seal a tough 3-0 win against the second seeded Malaysian  Addeen Idrake.

I thought luck was on my side when I drew lucky loser Matias Tuomi in the main draw. However, scrambling to get his shots back at game ball down in the third I hurt myself badly with an awkward lunge in the front backhand corner. I.could hardly walk or twist as I felt intense pain in my groin, adductor and hip flexor that went all the way up to my abs. I tried for three points in the 4th game but realized that I won't be able to carry on playing and disappointingly pulled out of the match.

The rest of the time I spent looking after the commentary and watching and helping out Jason,  Danielle, Vanessa and Luke - who played and fought brilliantly. Danielle managed to win the weekend draw which was a great result.

Overall, another great trip to the South Island. The focus now is on rehab and getting better and back to full fitness before the Australian tournaments - The Victorian and The Australian Open.


The Remarkables


Sport Afterlife

Life after being a a squash professional seemed uncertain. Who am I, if not an athlete? What are my skills? What would I do for a liv...