Thursday 4 August 2011

The Australian Open

The PSA World Tour returns to Canberra for the second year in a row for one of the biggest events on the Professional Squash Calendar. The Australian Open has been my favourite event since its return to the tour a few years ago. Over the next seven days I will be playing, watching and commenting on Squash. Watch this space for my share of experiences in Canberra.


Sunday 7 August - Day 2

It wasn't my day as I went down in a heartbreaking loss to Max Lee in 5 games. I played well and led 2-0 but couldn't finish it off. The third was long and hard which I lost 14-16. It was downhill after that with a mental dip in the fourth alongside struggling with my length. Max capitalized on the momentum shift and took control in the fifth to win the match. Credit to him for keeping up with the hard work.

As for me, it's very disappointing to have lost early in my target event. I felt I had prepared well and had a good chance of doing well in the main draw. There are things to be learnt and worked upon. I can take some confidence in my game and somewhat in the improvement in fitness from the training in Brisbane. However, I do need to keep working on my fitness and maybe extend my training sessions. With no tournament in sight for nearly two months, I will have time for it - if I can just dig deep and find the mental strength to recover from another loss. Hopefully I will.

Things were much better for me off court though. I had plenty of support for my match which was great. My brother travelled to see me from Sydney and catching up with him certainly made my day. It's good to see him settled and enjoying his new job and life in Sydney.

I was very tired at the end of the day and had another spa to finish off the day. I don't think sleep will come easily -always the case after a loss. I certainly look forward to a much needed break from Squash.

Saturday 6 August - Day 1

Tim and I before the match - we werent smiling afterwards.
After a lot of anticipation, the Australian Open kicked off today. The day passed quickly for me with a morning hit, lunch, rest and soon it was match time. Watching Tim warmup I could tell that he meant business. Even though he runs cafes now, the competitive and professional mindset that took him to top 70 in the world would still be there. I expected a hard match just like the times we played while he was still on the tour. 

The match started well and we both were quite steady. After a few points I could sense him trying to slow the pace down - a sign of him not enjoying the intensity. He was hitting the ball well and being on top of him was the answer. I did exactly that and ran away with the game 11-6. The pace settled in the second and we both moved the ball around well. He got into the game more but I knew that he would be hurting physically. His confidence was boosted by a few good rallies where he worked his deception well. We had a closer game but I got the game 11-8 and led 2 games to nil. The third was a hard one and I found myself breathing as heavy as him. Tim did well to stay with me in the points and didnt give up right till the end. One of the rallies was very hard and I was lucky to be the one in control. That gave me matchball and soon it was game over. Overall, a good first match and I felt good for tomorrow when I play Max Lee of Hong Kong who beat Bradley Hindle in 5. I have never played him before but expect a hard match against the fast improving youngster.

After a stretch and shower I stayed on to watch the All Blacks game at the Squash club. There were a few Kiwis around including Glen Carson who is refeering here. After 80 minutes of watching Rugby and some Squash in between we were off home. Donna cooked us a lovely pasta dinner and after a chat we were off doing our own things. Time for me to get into the spa.

Friday 5 August - Day 0
Skiffington, Grayson and Watts at the OZ Open
After a good night's rest and a much needed sleep in, I was off to the courts for my practice session. I got in early and relaxed a bit before going on. I met up with the guys and it was good to see most of the kiwis there. Jamie Skiffington got in the qualifying draw when someone withdrew at the last minute and was loving being here - and so was Joseph Watts. Its great to be a part of a big event like this and I am sure they will make the most of it by playing and then watching the top guys play. Well done on getting here guys - it will be a special week for you to remember for the rest of your lives.

A few games and a good hour on court with Campbell was exactly what I needed. I felt fit, fast and strong on top of feeling good about my squash and the conditions here. The matches are expected to be hard and it certainly makes me confident knowing that I am well prepared and ready for it.

After a walk to the mall for some food we were back at the venue for the qualifying draw. A lot anxious players in the room waited to find out who they would be playing. It was soon done and on the board. I drew none other than Tim Manning for tomorrow's first round - which should be a good match. A lot of interesting matchups including the Malaysians Kamran and Ivan playing each other. A long way to come down from KL to play your best friend and training partner. Has to be done.
Later I had dinner with billet Donna, Campbell and Lloydy and drove back home. It's time for a cup of tea and maybe some time for the spa at the house before another good night's rest.

Thursday 4 August - Travel Day
After two weeks of solid training in lovely Brisbane weather, I was on way to Canberra. My preparation saw me do hill runs and stairs with my host Courtney and plenty of routines and games with a variety of players. The physio could see the effects of the training and helped a lot in loosening me up. I felt fit and ready for my first World Series event of the year.

After a two hour flight and long chat with Brad Hindle on the plane, we were in Canberra. One of the organisers was there to pick us up - a sign of a good event and we were on our way to the club. I was keen to get on court asap to get used to the conditions and especially the lower tin which had eluded me in my preparation. I was lucky to have found Kamran Khan hitting by himself and keen for a hit. We had a good hour on the court and I felt good physically and mentally. The games on the lower tin and cooler climate reminded me of how different it will be here and what needs to be done. I had a quick bite to eat at the noodle house next door and was ready to be picked up by my billets.
In the meantime I bumped into good friend and ex squash player Tim Manning and we had our annual catch up. We've know each other since our early junior years nearly two decades ago and have stayed in touch through our squash and since he stopped playing the tour, through my visits to Canberra. Tim now runs two cafes and loves the work. Both his kids are growing fast and he is still actively involved in the local Squash scene and is looking forward to his appearance in the OZ Open qualifying draw as a local. Back at the house, I had a quick cup of tea over a chat with my host Donna and it was time for a well needed rest after the long day.

Sport Afterlife

Life after being a a squash professional seemed uncertain. Who am I, if not an athlete? What are my skills? What would I do for a liv...