Friday 25 November 2011

O2 Cup - Warsaw



The PSA World Tour heads to Eastern Europe for a series of small tournaments confirmed in region over the next few months. The players will be competing in atleast four tournaments in Poland and one each in Czech Republic and Slovakia. It will be my first time in this part of the world which has eluded me so far. My first event will be in Warsaw, Poland where I am seeded second amongst a field of some good players. After four weeks of training, atleast one tournament and plenty of league matches under my belt, I set off to Poland looking for a win.


The Travel
After a 90-minute flight from Amsterdam, we were in Warsaw where we were met by a smiling Wojtek (Woy-tek). He was picking three of us at the same time and had to take the day off for the numerous trips to and back from the airport - to the appreciation of all players. On the way to the club he told me that Kahuna Squash and Badminton was built, owned and run by his family and both him and his brother worked there full time. He is passionate about Squash hence a PSA event at his club. In 20 minutes we were at the facility which was very nice and cozy. The players have been put up in apartments conveniently located - 500 meters away from the club. I sat at the club for a little while and soon headed off to the apartment to check in. Dinner and some TV followed freshening up and later I caught up with my room mate Rasmus Nielsen. It had been a good day of travelling and settling in and now it was time for a good sleep.

The Squash
My first round opponent was a young Englishman by the name of Daniel West. Dan played pretty well in front of his adopted home crowd and was quick around the court. He hit some good winners but eventually I managed to close it out with some old fashioned steadiness. My quarterfinal opponent was another Englishman Steve London. He had played a hard 80-minute match the day before and struggled against me. I managed to keep the pace up for the whole match and was happy to get off court after quick three games. In the semi final I faced Chris Truswell. Chris is one of the fast improving young players based in Birmingham. I played well to take the first but lost focus towards the end of the second to lose that one. I was glad I was able to put it behind me and regain focus to win the next two games convincingly - I was through to the final.


In the final I started very well and took the first 11-7. He responded well and took the next 11-5. At 1-1, I knew the third game was crucial. Maybe I put too much pressure on myself and lost focus on the game plan. After a few mistakes and trailing a few points I started doubting myself and handed the game to him without much resistance. I had to put it behind me but I knew I was in trouble. I found my momentum again started controlling play like in the first. At 4-4 I made the silly mistake of talking to the ref. I lost focus once again and found myself down 4-8. I fought back hard and made him do a lot of work but he could see the finish line and kept pushing - eventually winning the game 11-8 and the match 3-1. Even though I am disappointed with the loss, there are a lot of positives. I started well, fitness was good and controlled play when I was focused. Just the lack of confidence bugs me a little but I guess that is natural when one is coming back from injury. I will learn from this and definitely grow in confidence in my game once again. The most successful thing for me was that I missed all those drops of sweat on the floor and came out without any tear in the body this time. 


A loss is always disappointing. However, there were times in the match where I felt in the zone like I have on the way to the best wins of my career so far. I feel things are falling in place and I am not far away. I am happy with the progress on many fronts since the injury two months. With two more events to go for the year I feel I can take this momentum and finish the year on a high. Next year will bring bigger and brighter opportunities.

The Walk
Our host and new PSA member, Polish no.1 and Talented Mr Ripley look alike Wojtek took us for a walk in town. We had a good look around new and then later on, old Warsaw. Only 10% of the old city remains after the rest was bombed in the second world war. We ate at a nice Polish restaurant and tried Steak Tartare. The chef brought a kitchen bench on wheels to our table and we saw it being prepared. Fresh meat sliced time and time again until it was mince and mixed with anchovies and herbs and presented to us - completely raw!

Afterwards we walked an alternate way out of the town centre and through war memorials and a park. It was soon time to head back to the hotel as it had been a long and tiring day. Little that I knew that the night had more in store for me.

The Story
After our outing in the city we got back to the hotel at around 10pm. I wanted to check my email but the phone wasn't in my jacket. I thought it might be in my jeans but not there either. I remember using it in the taxi and realized that I might have dropped it there. After the initial shock I recovered and decided to call another cab to go back to the place in town where we came from in hope of finding the same taxi and hopefully my phone. I had been on a similar adventure in Rotterdam when the taxi driver drove off with our bags and even though I was anxious, I felt confident of finding my phone as well.

I called another taxi from the hotel which came quite quickly but leaving was another matter. The driver didn't speak English and didn't know where to take me. It was hard enough telling him my story let alone telling him that I only had US dollars and had to find a way to pay him. After struggling for five precious minutes, he dialed a number and passed me the phone. It was his daughter who spoke English and helped interpreting between us two. Soon after that we were on our way. After 20 anxious minutes we were at the place where I had taken the previous taxi. I was very lucky to find the same taxi and soon after that, the driver as well. He had my phone in his hand and before anything else I started thanking him loudly. The phone was back with me - to my great relief! The bar nearby helped me change the dollars I had into Zlotys and even though I got much less than I would have from a money changer, I was happy to get some cash at nearly midnight on Sunday! I went back to my taxi and in 20 minutes I was back at the hotel - this time with the phone in my hand.

The Video

A walk in Warsaw

Special thanks to Wojtek and his family for looking after us and running a good tournament. 
Kahuna Squash and Badminton

Sport Afterlife

Life after being a a squash professional seemed uncertain. Who am I, if not an athlete? What are my skills? What would I do for a liv...