Saturday 29 October 2011

The World Open


It is that time of the year when players from all over the world get together to compete for the honour to be World Champion. This year the players will travel to Rotterdam to play for this prestigious title. My one hour train travel will be the least travel time to any international event. In hope of doing better than my best finish of last 32 in 2008 in Manchester, I look forward to my 10th World Open in 15 years.
Pre match
With two weeks off from another accident on court, I had ten days to prepare. I made the most of it and feel in good form. I will be in familiar surroundings in Rotterdam having played the Dutch Open there twice as well as playing league matches. The draw is as strong as it could be and the competition will be fierce. Unseeded, I am hoping for a good draw and two wins in the qualifying rounds to get to the main draw.

Post match
However, the shortest travel to an event also made it the quickest for me to finish. The hamstring flared up again after Wednesday night's league match and my first round opponent Amr Swelim was too good to allow me a chance to get into the match. After a close first where I survived by avoiding going to the front, I was denied going further in the event by 3 games to nil. Very fustrating!

One has to be realistic and I can only be patient to let the leg heal properly before training again. From last year's experience, it will take atleast two more weeks before I am ready to train again. In the mean time I can keep working in any way I can and enjoy watching the Squash. I will be going down to Rotterdam regularly to watch the matches.






Sport Afterlife

Life after being a a squash professional seemed uncertain. Who am I, if not an athlete? What are my skills? What would I do for a liv...