Saturday 22 November 2014

The Off Season

After the success of the last off season and the results during the season, I was sure that I wanted to train even harder, smarter and better for the next season. I could hardly wait for the off season training to start. However, I knew I needed some time off - both physically and mentally. I had some good time off after Senior Nationals but stayed fit to be on court to help prepare our juniors for Junior Nationals. An excellent four weeks off and I knew I was ready to start training for next year. It was time.


The Dream 
It was going to be a long, hard road if I was to work towards my goal of a personal best finish at the World Champs in November 2015. It needed a one year plan and total commitment to it. Even more so, the execution of this plan will require time management and a lot of luck. At the end of it all, I might realise this dream or it may merely stay a dream. Whatever the result might be, I knew it was all worth working hard towards and that I will enjoy the process.

The Off Season
I carefully planned my off season - paying close attention to my weaknesses and building on my strengths. Fitness was a big part of the programme - something that is essential to be competitive in Squash. The first phase was based on Endurance, the second on Intensity and the third on Power. Training began at the end of October for what I call the 12 month plan to success.

The road runs were long and hard. However, the improvement was quick as fitness had dropped considerably over the last few months. Soon I found myself stronger and fitter. Having learnt so many good things about training certainly helps one to train smarter - something that will surely give me the edge in the season.

The Pre Season 
Coming Soon …

Misbah's record equalling performance provided the required motivation. He is 40 years old! 

Sport Afterlife

Life after being a a squash professional seemed uncertain. Who am I, if not an athlete? What are my skills? What would I do for a liv...